I have taken a break from my Windows 8 posts because I am having a problem with my Windows 8 environment.

I have a Dell Studio 540 that has worked for a couple years without any problems. To try out Windows 8 I purchased a new Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA drive, switched the SATA cable from my old drive to the new one and installed the Windows 8 x64 RTM from MSDN. Initially it worked ok but after about a week of off and on use I started getting corrupt files on the drive and it eventually got to the point where none of the restore tools in Windows 8 could fix the problem. At this point I ran the Seagate diagnostics on the drive but it didn’t find any problems.

I re-formatted the drive and re-installed Windows 8, and again after a couple days I got corrupt files. I also checked the event log this time and noticed NTFS errors in the log. As a final test I re-formatted the drive but installed Windows 7 this time. I have been running Win 7 on the drive for over a week now with no problems, so it appears to be an issue with Windows 8.

If anyone has seen any issues like this with Windows 8 please let me know. I’ll also post here if I find a resolution to the problem.